Today’s young people are immersed in a world full of technology and the classrooms of tomorrow are no exception. The constantly evolving nature of the teaching and learning dynamic coupled with the continuously advancing forms of technology make online classes and distance learning a challenging yet essential part of educating our students.
Bosco Online Academy gives students the opportunity to take UC and NCAA approved classes throughout the course of the year providing a comprehensive, college preparatory curriculum that meets our students’ various learning and academic needs.
Bosco Online Academy:
- Allows students to improve their academic standing through grade remediation
- Completion of prerequisite classes and additional enrichment courses
- Furthermore, with St. John Bosco High School faculty as teachers, the Bosco Online Academy gives students more access to assistance and support in a self-paced, flexible learning environment.
The following items are specific criteria that students must meet before enrolling into classes:
- Student is registered and in good standing with St. John Bosco High School (i.e. incoming Freshman, current student, or a recently promoted alumnus).
- Student has to remediate a grade of D or F in order to graduate or to fulfill university admission requirements. Note: see Guidelines for Repeating a Course
- Student has approval from his counselor
During Summer session, students must also meet these additional criteria:
- Student is unavailable to attend on-campus Summer school courses for reasons approved by his counselor
- Student has to remediate more than two semester courses concurrently
Bosco Online Academy offers approved courses throughout the academic year in order to provide students a self-paced and flexible online learning environment. Enrollment periods exist to establish a time-frame similar to that of the traditional two-semester academic year or a five-week Summer school session.
During the Fall and Spring semester, students must spend a minimum of eight weeks in any Advanced Placement (AP) course and a minimum of four weeks in any other college preparatory course. All students must complete each course within nine weeks (beginning with first online access to the curriculum) and before the end of the term, regardless of enrollment date.
During the Summer school session, students must spend a minimum of eight weeks in any Advanced Placement (AP) course and a minimum of four weeks in any other college preparatory course. All students must complete each course within five weeks (beginning with first online access to the curriculum) and before the end of the term, regardless of enrollment date.
The faculty and staff of Bosco Online Academy are fully vested in the academic success of each enrolled student. It is under this condition that students cannot withdraw from any classes without counselor approval.
Upon registration and enrollment, students are required to uphold the following expectations:
- Complete the Student Getting Started Certification Quiz and submit the associated Certificate of Completion to appropriate school counselor. Note: only required for first enrollment and none thereafter.
- Complete the Student Contract and submit it to the appropriate counselor.
- Maintain frequent lines of communication with teachers by responding within 24-48 hours of contact.
- Adhere to assignment, course, and program deadlines.
- Take the Final Exam in person, on St. John Bosco High School campus grounds, on a date scheduled and agreed upon by the teacher and student.
- Report final grades to a counselor immediately upon successful completion of a course.
These expectations are in addition to those already established by the Student Parent Guide.