Parent participation is an important part of the Salesian educational philosophy
St. John Bosco's Service Hour Program is designed to provide parents the opportunity to become involved in various school activities. St. John Bosco will continue to use Track it Forward for tracking volunteer hours during the 2023-24 academic year. Only hours logged through this platform will count towards service hour requirements. The volunteer dashboard lets you log your completed hours, view total hours submitted, milestone progress, sign up for events and more.
- Each family is required to work a total of 35 hours of volunteer service for each 9th grade student and 30 hours of service for each 10th through 12th grade student for each of the four years; therefore, additional hours beyond the required 30/35 hours are not rolled over to the next year. The requirement is a per student obligation; parents with more than one son attending St. John Bosco High School have a 30/35 hour obligation per student.
- We will also be allowing service hour credits for donated goods. There will be one service hour credit given for each $40 value of goods. It is the responsibility of the parents to contact the school to volunteer your time or goods to complete the required 30/35 hours and log the hours. The family is responsible for keeping record of agreed upon assignments as reminder notices will not be sent.
- The normal service hour cycle begins April 1 and ends March 31; this cycle corresponds with our present tuition billing cycle. After the end of each cycle, the fee for each incomplete hour will be charged to the appropriate tuition account. The school, however, continues to have a need for this type of participation through the end of the academic year. Any hours worked after the March 31 date will count for the next school year.
- If a parent agrees to accept a service hour assignment and does not show up for that event, regardless of the circumstances, there will be a $25 per hour fee that will be charged to the tuition account. A minimum notification of three (3) business days is required to avoid this charge. Payment of this charge falls under the "Financial Agreement" category in your contract and also as stated in the Student-Parent Guide. This does not decrease the annual 30/35-hour obligation.
- Parents are responsible for logging their own volunteer hours into their "Track it Forward" account to receive credit for hours worked.